HISTORY OF SHEPPERTON STUDIOS
Shepperton Studios dates back to the late seventeenth century when local nobleman, Thomas Wood, built Littleton Park, the mansion house which still stands at the centre of the 60-acre Surrey site.
In 1931 Norman Loudon, a young wealthy Scottish businessman who produced the single frame photo ‘Flicker’ books for children bought the manor house and land resulting in the birth of Sound City Film Producing and Recording Studios.
Whilst London Studios scrambled to refurbish to accommodate the new ‘talkies’, at Shepperton, Loudon’s first purpose built soundproofed stages went up within 6 months and by the end of 1932, Sound City’s increasingly popular facilities had seen the production of no less than seven films, two full-length features and five shorts.
Shepperton has changed hands several times since and notably has been run by the highly respected filmmakers Tony and Ridley Scott for a 5 year stint in the 1990s.
In 2001 Shepperton was purchased by Pinewood Studios.